Ph.D. (Economics), University of Southern California
Microeconomics, Development Economics, Applied Econometrics
Click here for personal homepage
Articles in Refereed Journals
- “Understanding Poverty and Inequality in Urban India since Reforms: Bringing Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches Together” (with Vamsi Vakulabharanam) Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVII (47-48), 2012, pp. 44-52.
- “Demand or Supply for Schooling in Rural India?” (with Lars Osberg) electronic International Journal of Time Use Research, 9 (1), 2012, pp. 1-27.
- “How Close does the Apple Fall to the Tree? Some Evidence from India on Intergenerational Occupational Mobility” (with Ashish Singh) Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVII (40), 2012, pp. 56-65.
- “Interlinking and Collusion” (with James A. Robinson) Review of Development Economics, 14 (2), 2010, pp. 282-301.
- “Social Capital and Basic Goods: The Cautionary Tale of Drinking Water in India” (with Lars Osberg) Economic Development and Cultural Change, 59 (1), 2010, pp. 63-94.
- “Gender Inequalities in Tasks and Instruction Opportunities within Indian Families,” (with Lars Osberg) Journal of Feminist Economics, 16 (3), 2010, pp. 141-16.
- “Patterns of Wealth Disparities in India During the Era of Liberalization,” (with Arjun Jayadev and Vamsi Vakulabharanam) Economic and Political Weekly, XLII (38), 2007, pp. 3853-63.
- “Corporate and Cooperative Solutions for the Agrarian Crisis in Developing Countries,” (with Vamsi Vakulabharanam) Review of Radical Political Economics, 39 (3), 2007, pp. 360-67.
Chapters in Books
- “Indian Inequality: Patterns and Changes, 1993-2010,” (with Vamsi Vakulabharanam) in Mahendra Dev (ed.) India Development Report, New Delhi, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- “Poverty and Inequality in the Age of Economic Liberalisation,” (with Vamsi Vakulabharanam) in Dilip Nachane (ed.) India Development Report, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- “Political Economy of Agrarian Distress in India Since the 1990s,” (with Vamsi Vakulabharanam) in Sanjay Ruparelia, Sanjay Reddy, John Harriss and Stuart Corbridge (eds.) A Great Transformation? Understanding India’s Political Economy, London: Routledge, 2011.
- “Patterns of Wealth Disparities in India: 1991-2002,” (with Arjun Jayadev and Vamsi Vakulabharanam) in Sanjay Ruparelia, Sanjay Reddy, John Harriss and Stuart Corbridge (eds.) A Great Transformation? Understanding India’s Political Economy, London: Routledge, 2011.
Book Reviews in Refereed Journals
- Review of: The Transformation of Agri-Food Systems: Globalization, Supply Chains and Smallholder Farmers, (eds.) Ellen B. McCullough, Prabhu L. Pingali, and Kostas G. Stamoulis, FAO and Earthscan, London, in Journal of Peasant Studies, 40 (1), 2013, pp. 303-307.
- Review of: Poverty, Inequality and Population: Essays in Development and Applied measurement by D. Jayaraj and S. Subramanian, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, in Journal of Quantitative Economics, 9 (2), 2011, pp. 184-88.
- “How do we think about development planning and its impact on poverty?” The Review of Income and Wealth, 51 (3), 2005, pp. 469-72.
- "Growth and Deprivation in India: What Does Recent Data Say?" (joint with Karthikeya Naraparaju) Working Paper No. WP-2013-005, IGIDR.
- “Polarization, Inequality and Growth: The Indian Experience” (joint with Nayantara Sarma) Working Paper No. WP-2011-011, IGIDR
You can download the latest versions of these papers from my personal homepage.
- Currently involved in a project on migration in India funded by Sir. Dorabjee Tata Trust
- I teach courses on microeconomic theory at IGIDR. You can find details of these courses on my personal homepage.