Editor: Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics (2015- …)
Dean, Graduate Studies Programme, IGIDR (2005-‘07):
Member, Technical Advisory Committee on Longitudinal Ageing Study in India (LASI) (2013-18) undertaken by the International Institute of Population Sciences, Mumbai along with Harvard School of Public Health and RAND Corporation, USA.
International Consultant, UNDP Somalia (March-April 2012): Training, Drafting and Finalizing a Poverty Monitoring and Analysis System for Somalia administrations.
Senior Trainer (Consultant) for the FAO/NFPCSP-IFPRI training workshop on ‘Analysis of Data for Measuring Availability, Access and Nutritional Status’ under National Food Policy Capacity Strengthening Programme’ at the Bangladesh Academy for Rural Development, Comilla, Bangladesh (January 2012).
Senior Economic Advisor, International Poverty Centre, UNDP, Brasilia (2004-‘05)
- (2014): “How Inclusive is India’s Reformed Growth?” (jointly with Mousumi Das) Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLIX, No. 6, pp. 44-52.
- (2011): “Expert Group on Poverty: Confusion worse Confounded”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVI, No. 46, pp. 36-39.
- (2011): “Inequality Adjusted Human Development Index: States in India”, (jointly with Ankush Agrawal and Seeta Prabhu), UNDP, New Delhi
- (2009): “Pursuing Inclusion in India: A Story of Specification Errors”, Indian Growth and Development Review, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 155-172.
- (2008): “What Is Exclusive About ‘Inclusive Growth’?” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 43, No. 43, pp. 91-101.
- (2007): “Is Targeting the Poor a Penalty on the Food Insecure? Poverty and Food Insecurity in India” (With Dimitri Silva) Journal of Human Development, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 89-106.
- (2001): “Economic Reform versus Food Security: Kerala’s Gordian Knot” Journal of International of Development, Vol. 13, issue 2, pp. 239-253.
- (2000): “How Real is the Secular Decline in Rural Poverty?” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXV, No. 25, pp. 2129-2139.
- (1997): “Food Security in India: Measures, Norms and Issues”, Development and Change, Vol.28, No. 4, pp. 771-789
- (1995): “PDS: Beyond Implicit Subsidy and Urban Bias”, Food Policy, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 259-278.
- (1993): “Growth, Distribution and Demand for Textiles in India”, (with Tirthankar Roy and Kirit S. Parikh), Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol. 9, No.2, pp. 263-280.
- (1992): “Food and Agricultural Subsidies: Incidence and Welfare under Alternative Schemes”, (with Kirit S. Parikh), Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 1-28.
- (1992): “Rural Poverty in India: Incidence, Issues and Policies” (with S. Mahendra Dev and Kirit S. Parikh), Asian Development Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 35-66.
- (2014): “Human Development: Progress Made, Milestones to be reached”, in Maharashtra Human Development Report 2012, Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai.
- (2012): “Economic Development and Inequalities” in Nagaraj, R. (ed.) Growth, Inequality and Social Development in India: Is Inclusive Growth Possible?’ United Nations Research Institute for Social Development, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 63-90.
- (2012): “Estimating Rural Poverty: Distributional Outcomes, Evaluations and Policy Responses” in Ghate, Chetan (ed.): Handbook on Indian Economy, Oxford University Press, New York.
- (2005): “Income, Employment and Poverty” in Government of Karnataka: Karnataka Human Development Report 2005, pp. 73-94.
- (2002): “Growth and Poverty Reduction in Maharashtra: Constraints, Policy Options and Developments”, Background study for Government of Maharashtra: Human Development Report Maharashtra 2002, Mumbai
- (2000): “Public Policies, Social Development and Poverty Reduction: The Kerala Model” in Halvorson-Quevedo, Raundi and Hartmut Schneider (eds.) Waging the Global War on Poverty: Strategies and Case Studies, OECD, Paris, pp. 157-185
- (2012): Training materials for empirical food policy analysis (with R. Srinivasulu), Food and Agricultural Organization and the Government of Bangladesh.
- (2010): Brunei Darussalam Millennium Development Goals and beyond: A Revisit, Department of Economic Planning and Development, Prime Minister’s Office, Brunei Darussalam.
- (1994): ‘Rural Poverty in India: Incidence, Issues and Policies’, (with S. Mahendra Dev and Kirit S. Parikh), in Quibria, M.G. (ed.) (1994), Rural Poverty in Developing Asia, Asian Development Bank, Manila.
- Globalization and Inclusive Growth; Employment Dimension of inclusive Growth; Integrated Measures of Inclusive Growth.
- Generally teach ‘Introductory Econometrics’ and supervise MPhil/PhD dissertations on issues related to development economics.