Dr. A. Ganesh-Kumar is a Professor and Former Dean Academic Affairs at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai. He is a Ph.D. from the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. He specializes in computable general equilibrium (CGE) modelling with a focus on food security and grain management policies; issues in agricultural trade; pricing policies; spatial dimensions of Indian economy; and policies for sustainable human development and economic growth. He is a member of Advisory Committee on National Accounts Statistics (ACNAS), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of India. He is in the Editorial Board of two journals, Agricultural Economics published by the International Association of Agricultural Economists and Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics published by the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics. He has undertaken several projects for the Government of India, Reserve Bank of India, and for various international agencies such as the Food and Agriculture Oranisation, UN-ESCAP, World Bank, USDA, the Carnegie Endowment for International peace, and IDRC among others. He has brought out over 80 publications including books, monographs, journal articles, book chapters, project reports and working papers. He was awarded the Commonwealth Fellowship – 2001-02, by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, for post-doctoral studies at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K. He is also the recipient of the D. K. Desai Prize for the Best Paper under General Stream, 1999, in the Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, awarded by the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics.
- 2015. Asia-Pacific Countries with Special Needs Development Report 2015. ESCAP, Bangkok.
- Zepeda, E., S. McDonald, M. Panda and A. Ganesh-Kumar with C. Sapkota. 2013. Employing India: Guaranteeing Jobs for the Rural Poor. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington D.C.
- Gulati, A., A. Ganesh-Kumar, G. Shreedhar, H. Pullabhotla, X. Zhang. 2010. Ensuring Food and Nutritional Security in Nepal: A Stocktaking Exercise. USAID, Kathmandu.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A., D. Roy and A. Gulati (Eds.). 2010. Liberalizing Food Grains Markets: Experiences, Impact and Lessons from South Asia. IFPRI-Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Polaski, S., A. Ganesh-Kumar, S. McDonald, M. Panda and S. Robinson. 2008. India’s Trade Policy Choices: Managing Diverse Challenges. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington D.C.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A., K. Sen and R. Vaidya. 2003. International Competitiveness, Investment and Finance: A Case Study of India. Routledge, London.
Journal articles (selected)
- Das, V. K. and A. Ganesh-Kumar (forthcoming 2018), “Farm Size, Livelihood Diversification and Farmer’s Income in India”. DECISION. DOI: 10.1007/s40622-018-0177-9.
- Chatterjee, T. and A. Ganesh-Kumar (2016). “Geographic neighbourhood and cluster formation: Evidence from Indian agriculture”. Journal of Development Studies. 52(11), pp. 1577-1592, DOI:10.1080/00220388.2016.1166211.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A. and T. Chatterjee. (2016). “Mega External Preferential Trade Agreements and Their Impacts on Indian Economy”. Foreign Trade Review. 51(1), pp.46-80, DOI:10.1177/0015732515616545.
- Gulati, A., A. Ganesh-Kumar, G. Shreedhar and T. Nandakumar. 2012. “Agriculture and Malnutrition in India”. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 33(1), pp.31-43, pp.31-43, DOI:10.1177/156482651203300108.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A. and G. K. Saini. 2009. “Economic Co-operation in South Asia: The Dilemma of SAFTA and Beyond”. Journal of South Asian Development, 4(2), pp.253-281, pp.253-281, DOI:10.1177/097317410900400205.
- Parikh, J., M. Panda, A. Ganesh-Kumar and V. Singh. 2009.“CO2 emissions structure of Indian economy”. Energy, 34(8), pp. 1024-1031, pp. 1024-1031, DOI:10.1016/j.energy.2009.02.014.
- Parikh, K. S., A. Ganesh-Kumar and G. Darbha. 2003. “Growth and Welfare Consequences of a Rise in Minimum Support Prices”. Economic and Political Weekly, 38(9), pp. 891-895. Also re-printed in U. Kapila (Ed.) Indian Economy Since Independence, 17th Edition, 2006, Academic Foundation, New Delhi.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A. 1999. “Spatial Variability in Crop Yields: The Case of Cereals Across Districts of Andhra Pradesh”. Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 54(1), pp.53-78.
*** This paper was adjudged the “Best under the General Stream – year 1999” for the D. K. Desai Prize Award Scheme initiated by the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics.
Chapters in books (selected)
- Bhakta, R. and A. Ganesh-Kumar (2017). “Adult education and composition of labour supply in India”. In S. Mahendra Dev (Ed.) India Development Report–2017, Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Chatterjee, T. and A. Ganesh-Kumar (2017). “Spatial Aspects of Diversification in Indian Agriculture”. In S. Mahendra Dev (Ed.) India Development Report–2017, Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A. and M. Panda. 2016. “Some Policies for Agricultural Growth and Their Impacts on Southern India: An Assessment Using a Regional Computable General Equilibrium Model”. Paper presented at the Workshop on Prospects for Agriculture in India’s Southern Region over the Medium Term: Setting an Agenda for Strategies to Meet Challenges, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A. and N. Harak. 2015. “Oil and Natural Gas Price Reforms and its Impacts on Indian Agriculture”. In S. Mahendra Dev (Ed.) India Development Report–2015, Oxford University Press, New Delhi
- Jha, S., P. V. Srinivasan and A. Ganesh-Kumar. 2010. “Achieving food security in a cost-effective way: Implications of domestic deregulation and liberalized trade in India”. In A. Ganesh-Kumar, D. Roy and A. Gulati (Eds.) Liberalizing Food Grains Markets: Experiences, Impact and Lessons from South Asia, IFPRI-Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A. and M. Panda. 2009. “Global Economic Shocks and Indian Policy Response: An Analysis Using a CGE model”. In K. S. Parikh (Ed.) Macro-Modeling for the Eleventh Five Year Plan of India, Planning Commission, Government of India / Academic Foundation, New Delhi.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A., A. Gulati and R. Cummings Jr. 2009. “Reforming Foodgrains Management: Achieving Food Security with Cost-Effectiveness”. In S. Singh and V. R. Reddy (Eds.) Changing Contours of Asian Agriculture: Essays in Honour of Prof. V.S.Vyas, Academic Foundations, New Delhi.
- Ganesh-Kumar, A., K. Sen and R. Vaidya. 2002. “International Competitiveness, Trade and Finance: India”. In J. M. Fanelli and R. Medhora (Eds.) Finance and Competitiveness in Developing Countries, Routledge, London.
- Food and agricultural policy in India
- Economic growth and sustainable human development
- Spatial Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) model of India
- DRG Study on “Assessing the Impact of Different Types of Public Expenditure in India Using CGE Model”, Reserve Bank of India, India.
- “Trends in food eaten away from home, dietary diversification and the dynamics of Asian rice consumption”, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (FAO-RAP), Bangkok, 2016.
- “Asia-Pacific Countries with Special Needs Development Report – 2015”, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia-Pacific, Bangkok.
- “Spatial CGE Model for Centre-State Fiscal Policy Analysis”, 14th Finance Commission, Government of India, New Delhi, 2014.
- “Alternative economic structures and policy options for achieving zero income poverty: A CGE analysis for India integrating international development goals”, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia-Pacific, New Delhi, 2014.
- “Accelerating Agricultural Productivity Growth in India – Policies and Investment Options”, World Bank, New Delhi, 2014.
- Statistics and Econometrics – II
- Applied general equilibrium models