Ph.D in Economics from the Delhi School of Economics, Post-doctoral research, Yale University
Development Economics, Indian economy, macro policies, inclusive growth, agricultural policies, poverty and inequality, rural development, rural non-farm sector, food security, employment, social protection, nutrition and social security.
Click here for personal homepage
- “Inclusive Growth in India: Agriculture, Poverty and Human Development, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- “India: Perspectives on Equitable Development”, Academic Foundation, 2008 (jointly with N.Chandrasekhara Rao).
- “Human Development in Andhra Pradesh: Experiences, Issues and Challenges”, (Edited Jointly with C.Ravi and M. Venkatnarayana) .
- “India’s Development: Social and Economic Disparities”, Manohar/IDPAD, 2008 (edited jointly with K.S.Babu).
- “India: Some Aspects of Economic and Social Development” Academic Foundation, 2008 (edited jointly with K.S.Babu).
- ‘Managing Water Resources’: Policies, Institutions and Technologies Oxford University Press, 2006 (edited jointly with Ratna Reddy).
- ‘India in a Globalising World: Some Aspects of Macroeconomy, Agriculture and Poverty’ Essays in Honour of C.H. Hanumantha Rao, (ed.) Published by Academic Foundation (edited jointly with R.Radhkriashna, S.K. Rao and K. Subbarao), 2006 .
- “Towards A Food Secure India: Issues & Policies” (edited), Institute for Human Development, New Delhi and Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad (Distributed by Manohar), 2003; (Jointly with K.P. Kannan and Nira Ramachandran).
- “Andhra Pradesh Development: Economic Reforms and Challenges Ahead” (ed.), Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad, 2003 (Jointly with C.H. Hanumantha Rao).
- “Social and Economic Security in India” (ed.), Institute for Human Development, New Delhi, 2001 (jointly with Piyush Antony, V. Gayathri, R.P. Mamgain).
Selected Journal Articles and Chapters in Book
- “Agricultural Price Policy, Farm Profitability and Food Security”, Economic and Political Weekly, 2010, Vol.45, Nos. 26& 27 (Jointly with Chandrasekhara Rao)
- “Safety Net Programmes: Outreach and Effectiveness”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.42, No.35, 2007 (jointly with K. Subbarao, S.Galab and C.Ravi)
- “Agriculture Development” in the Oxford Companion to Economics in India, edited by Kaushik Basu, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2007.
- “Poverty and Inequality: All-India and States, 1983-2005” (along with C.Ravi) in Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XLII, No.6, February 10-16, 2007.
- “Social Sector Priorities: An Analysis of Budgets and Expenditures in India in the 1990s (along with Jos Mooij) Development Policy Review, Volume 22, Number 1, January 2004, Blackwell Publishing, UK.
- 'Experience of India's (Maharashtra) Employment Guarantee Scheme: Lessons for Development Policy', Development Policy Review, Vol.14, No.3, Blackwell Publishers, Oxford, U.K., 1996.
- 'Rural Poverty in India: Incidence, Issues and Policies' (with M.H.Suryanarayana and Kirit Parikh), Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, Manila, Vol.10, No.1, 1992.
- 'Growth, Employment, Poverty and Human Development: An Evaluation of Change Since Independence with Reference to Rural Areas' Review of Development and Change, Vol.2, No.2, 1997
- 'Estimation of Performance Probabilities for Aggregate Yield Functions: An Analysis of Agro-climatic Regions in India, Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol.16, No.1.
- 'Poverty of Agricultural Labour Households in India: A State Level Analysis', Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.43, No.1, 1988.
- 'Regional Disparities in Agricultural Labour Productivity and Rural Poverty in India', Indian Economic Review, Vol.43, No.1, 1988
Member in Government Committees/International Bodies (Selected)
- Member, Committee on ‘Financial Inclusion’, Government of India, Chaired by Dr. C.Rangarajan, 2006-07.
- Member, Prime Minister’s Task Force on Employment Opportunities, Planning Commission, New Delhi Chaired by Dr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
- Member, Group of Exports for Development of Sugar Sector, 2008-09, Department of Food & Civil Supplies.
- Member of the Advisory Board for the National Commission for the Unorganised Enterprises, Government of India, 2004-09 Chaired by Dr. Arjun Sengupta.
- Member, Board of India Today Economists.
- Member, Farmers’ Welfare Commission, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Visited several parts of Andhra Pradesh to enquire about the problems. of the farmers in A.P. August to November, 2005.
- Member, Economic affairs Panel, Confederation of Indian Industry, Andhra Pradesh.
- Member, Steering Committee for ‘Rural Development’ 11th Five Year plan, Planning Commission, New Delhi .
- Member, Working Group on ‘Labour’, 11th Five Year plan, Planning Commission, New Delhi .
- Member, Working Group on ‘Food and Nutrition Security’, 11th Five Year plan, Planning Commission, New Delhi.
- Member, ‘Working Group on Poverty Elimination Programmes’, 11th Five Year plan, Planning Commission, New Delhi.
- Member, Task Force on Indo-Dutch Co-operation, Indian Council of social Science Research, 2005.
- Member, Selection Committee for the Small Grants Programme on Poverty Eradication of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), New Delhi, held on 18-19 April, 2005.
- Member, Expert Group for the Enhancement of Social Security for the Poor, Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, United Nations, Bangkok.
- Member, Expert Group on Social Protection, United Nations, New York
- Member, Working Group on Rural Poverty Alleviation Programmes for the Formulation of Tenth Five Year Plan, Planning Commission, New Delhi.