Overview: The Post-Doctoral Fellowship (PDF) Programme has been instituted in IGIDR as part of its outreach activities. Its objective is to support high quality research by scholars with a doctoral degree and an outstanding academic record. Up to three fellowships are available per year. The fellowships are granted for an initial period of one year, which can be extended by a maximum of one more year.
Eligibility: Applicants should be resident Indians, under 40 years of age, secured a minimum of 55% aggregate marks or equivalent in the Masters degree, and should have obtained a Ph.D. degree in the broad areas of Economics or Energy and Environment Policy. Candidates who have completed their Ph.D. thesis in the last six months; and/or employed as junior faculty in academic institutions; and/or have strong publication records are particularly encouraged to apply.
Application: Completed application should include :
- Curriculum vitae, including the list of publications, if any.
- Synopsis of the applicant’s Ph.D. thesis, (if need be, the applicant should be prepared to send a copy of the thesis).
- Proposed plan of post-doctoral work at IGIDR (not exceeding 3 pages).
- One ‘Writing Sample’ which could be an article or a scholarly paper published/presented in academic journals/conferences or extracts from the applicant’s past academic work.
- Two recommendations, of which one should be from the applicant’s dissertation supervisor, and,
- Photocopy of the Ph.D. degree certificate or a certificate from the applicant’s university registrar/head of the department stating that the applicant has been provisionally awarded the Ph.D. degree.
- In case of junior faculty working in academic institutions, applications should be routed through proper channel. An advance copy of the application may be sent to IGIDR for consideration.
Selection: The PDF Committee will select the candidates based on an evaluation of their application, proposal and an interview conducted at IGIDR. The final admission to the programme will be subject to necessary approval from the parent institution of the candidates if applicable.
Fellowship: Post-Doctoral Fellows will receive a consolidated amount of Rs.50,000/- per month and a contingency grant of up to Rs.50,000/- per year for research related expenses against submission of bills. The fellowship is payable up to a maximum of twenty-four months. Post-Doctoral Fellows will also be provided campus accommodation depending on availability. In case of junior faculty who come on leave and whose salary exceeds the fellowship amount, IGIDR may consider salary protection up to the scale of lecturer/assistant professor subject to the discretion of the Director.
Responsibilities: The grantees would be independent to pursue their research plan, and are expected to produce at least two working papers per year, and give at least two seminars at IGIDR each year based on the work done by them at IGIDR. They are also encouraged to participate in Institute’s activities including teaching, Conferences and Workshops organized by the Institute. In addition, the grantees are expected to comply with any other work assigned to them by the Director. They would be provided office space and have full access to library, computing and other facilities of the Institute. Please note that Post Doctoral Fellows are full-time fixed term positions that are no way related to the entry-level faculty positions at IGIDR.
Application Deadline & Notifications: Applications can be sent anytime by email to email@example.com or by post. The subject head for email / top of the envelope for post should indicate APPLICATION FOR POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME. Letters of recommendation should be sent by the concerned persons directly to IGIDR via email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) / post. Candidates shortlisted for the interview will be notified by email.
Address for Communication:
Ms. Martha Lobo
Post-Doctoral Fellowship Programme
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR)
Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon East,