Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Sudha Narayanan (2014) “Profits from Participation in High Value Agriculture: Evidence of Heterogeneous Benefits in Contract Farming Schemes in Southern India”. Food Policy, Volume 44, February 2014, Pages 142-157, ISSN 0306-9192, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2013.10.010.
- Sudha Narayanan (2014) “The National Food Security Act vis-à-vis the WTO Agreement on Agriculture”, Economic and Political Weekly
- Sudha Narayanan (2013). Smallholder Attrition in Contract Farming Schemes in India: Extent, Causes and Concerns. Food Chain, Volume 3 Number 3:155-170.
- Sudha Narayanan (2012) “Inflections in Agricultural Evolution: Contemporary Commodity Complexes and Transactional Forms in interior Tamil Nadu” Economic and Political Weekly, December 21, 2012.
- Christopher B. Barrett, Maren E. Bachke, Marc F. Bellemare, Hope C. Michelson, Sudha Narayanan, Thomas F. Walker (2012) "Smallholder Participation in Contract Farming: Comparative Evidence from Five Countries,"World Development, 40(4): 715-730.
- Narayanan, Sudha (2014) “Geography Matters: Evidence and Implications of Spatial Selection in Contract Farming Schemes in Southern India” in Christy, Ralph, Carlos da Silva and Nomathemba Mhlanga (Editors) Innovative Institutions, Public Policies, and Private Strategies for Agro-Enterprise Development, World Scientific Publishers.
- Deepthi Kolday, Sujana Krishnamoorthy and Sudha Narayanan (2013) Marketing Cooperatives in a New Retail Context: A Study of HOPCOMS in Sharma, Vijay Paul, Bill Vorley, Abid Suleri, Larry Digal and Jikun Huang Editors, Linking Smallholder Producers to Modern Agri-Food Markets: Case Studies from South and South-East Asia, Allied Publishers, New Delhi.
- Sudha Narayanan and Upasak Das (2014) Employment Guarantee for Women in India Evidence on Participation and Rationing in the MGNREGA from the National Sample Survey, WP-2014-017 , Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Sudha Narayanan (2013). IN THE BALANCE The National Food Security Act vis-Ã -vis the WTO Agreement on Agriculture Working Paper WP-2013-026, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Sudha Narayanan (2013). Choosing Private Schools: Examining Primary School Enrollment Decisions in Rural North India, Working Paper WP-2013-025, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Sudha Narayanan and Sowmya Dhanraj (2013). Child Work and Schooling in rural north India : What do time use data say about tradeoffs and drivers of human capital investment?Working Paper WP-2013-023, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Sudha Narayanan (2012) Safe Gambles? Farmer perceptions of transactional certainty and risk-return tradeoffs in contract farming schemes in southern India. Working Paper WP-2012-021, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Sudha Narayanan (2012)Notional Contracts: The Moral Economy of Contract Farming Arrangements in India WP-2012-020, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- Sudha Narayanan (2012) The Heterogeneous Welfare Impacts of Participation in Contract Farming Schemes: Evidence from Southern India WP-2012-019, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
- “Getting Things Right: Gherkins Contracting in India” Case Study for F@rmletter, Newsletter of the World Farmers Organisation Issue Number 19, September 2013, Rome. “Does the Centre have a role in food subsidy schemes? Yes”, The Business Line, August 31, 2013.
- “Is the rights-based approach of the Food Security Bill feasible? Yes”, The Business Line, July 12, 2013.
- Sudha Narayanan (2013) Review of Carlos A. Da Silva and Nomathemba Mhlanga Editors (2012) Innovative Policies and Institutions to Support Agro-Industries Development, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO): Rome. In Millennial Asia 4(1):109-116, 2013.
Peer-reviewed chapters in Books
Discussion / Working Papers
Newspaper and Other articles
My current research consists of a cluster of studies focused on the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in India. In various projects, my collaborators and I assess aspects of implementation and impacts of the scheme with a focus on agriculture and labour market outcomes.
- My other work pertains to examining different aspects of contract farming practice in southern India using survey data I collected between 2007 and 2010.
- Apart from these I research various aspects of agriculture, food and nutrition policy and issues relating to human development in India.
- The Productivity of Agricultural Credit in India funded by NABARD Department of Economic Analysis and Research. April, 2013-July, 2014. Final Report
- Assessing the Usefulness of MGNREGA Assets: A Rapid Appraisal in Maharashtra. A collaborative project with Pragati Abhiyan, Nashik, funded by the Government of Maharashtra. Final Report
- Impact Evaluation of the MGNREGA in India, a collaborative project with IFPRI (Yanyan Liu) and Cornell University (Chris Barrett), funded by 3ie , March, 2013-July, 2015. For details, Click here
- The MGNREGA in the ICRISAT villages: Labour Market Dynamics and Implications for Agricultural Practice, VDSA Field Research Fellowship of ICRISAT. January, 2014 to January, 2015.
- Social Safety Nets in India: The MGNREGA and PDS. (with Nicolas Gerber) as part of the collaborative FOODSECURE project with ZEF Bonn.
- Combating Corruption with Mobile Phones. A collaborative project with Stanford University and Chaupal, Surguja, Chhattisgarh and CORD, New Delhi (with Vivek Srinivasan and Anuradha De).
- Keeping Bees: Adoption and Impact of modern beekeeping methods in marginal contexts. A collaborative action research project with Under the Mango Tree. December, 2013-December, 2015.
- Understanding Technology Adoption and Social Networks under Constraints: The Case of the Multinozzle Boom for Pesticide Spraying in Vidarbha. July, 2012-June, 2015.
- Applied Econometrics for Policy Analysis, 2013, 2014. The syllabus is available Click here
- Available on request